Maribor General Hospital from its foundation until World War II View Full Text


Ontology type: schema:ScholarlyArticle     


Article Info

DATE

2006-05

AUTHORS

Gregor Pivec

ABSTRACT

The author describes the history of Maribor General Hospital from its foundation in 1799 until the beginning of World War II. In 1799 the magistrate of the town of Maribor issued a memorandum regarding the establishment of a town hospital in the renovated building of the town hospice, providing space for 24 patients. The work of the hospital was carried out in the former hospice building until 1855. In the period between its establishment and eventual relocation 26 beds were added. The last two decades of the hospital's operation at the original location were marked by the assiduous work of the town's physicist, Dr. Anton Kuker. In the first half of the 19th century, the population of Maribor grew rapidly as a consequence of the construction of the Southern Railway. The town authorities therefore purchased the Prosenjak family villa in the Magdalena suburbs and relocated the hospital to it in 1855, providing 28 rooms for 110 patients. For a whole century, the care of patients was taken over by the Daughters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul. The hospital was soon admitting over 1000 patients a year, the most common complaints being pulmonary catarrh, gastritis and fever. In 1872, when the Master of Surgery Feliks Ferk joined the hospital, the internal "medical" and the "external" surgical departments were formed. Although medical studies were not easily accessible, there were a number of Slovene physicians working in the hospital and the town in that period. In the last decades of the 19th century, the hospital was often renovated and enlarged. The infrastructure (telephone, water supply system, heating, lighting) had also been modernized before World War I. In 1914, the first X-ray apparatus was purchased. Between the wars, the hospital's development was boosted by recruitment of the Slovene physicians Ivan Matko, Mirko Cernic, Janko Dernovsek and Hugon Robic. The initial external and medical departments split into several departments: internal medicine, surgery, dermatovenereology, gynecology and obstetrics, infectious diseases, X-ray institute, autopsy department, and pulmonary department. A department of otology and ophthalmology was also founded. After the disintegration of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, Maribor Hospital was no longer overshadowed by the formerly dominant regional hospital in Graz in present-day Austria. A greater number of patients entailed more rapid professional development. At the beginning of World War II, the hospital comprised six departments, two institutes and a dispensary, and had an elaborate administrative structure with numerous support services. More... »

PAGES

2-5

Identifiers

URI

http://scigraph.springernature.com/pub.10.1007/s00508-006-0543-z

DOI

http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00508-006-0543-z

DIMENSIONS

https://app.dimensions.ai/details/publication/pub.1028666377

PUBMED

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16817035


Indexing Status Check whether this publication has been indexed by Scopus and Web Of Science using the SN Indexing Status Tool
Incoming Citations Browse incoming citations for this publication using opencitations.net

JSON-LD is the canonical representation for SciGraph data.

TIP: You can open this SciGraph record using an external JSON-LD service: JSON-LD Playground Google SDTT

[
  {
    "@context": "https://springernature.github.io/scigraph/jsonld/sgcontext.json", 
    "about": [
      {
        "id": "http://purl.org/au-research/vocabulary/anzsrc-for/2008/2103", 
        "inDefinedTermSet": "http://purl.org/au-research/vocabulary/anzsrc-for/2008/", 
        "name": "Historical Studies", 
        "type": "DefinedTerm"
      }, 
      {
        "id": "http://purl.org/au-research/vocabulary/anzsrc-for/2008/21", 
        "inDefinedTermSet": "http://purl.org/au-research/vocabulary/anzsrc-for/2008/", 
        "name": "History and Archaeology", 
        "type": "DefinedTerm"
      }, 
      {
        "inDefinedTermSet": "https://www.nlm.nih.gov/mesh/", 
        "name": "Delivery of Health Care", 
        "type": "DefinedTerm"
      }, 
      {
        "inDefinedTermSet": "https://www.nlm.nih.gov/mesh/", 
        "name": "History, 18th Century", 
        "type": "DefinedTerm"
      }, 
      {
        "inDefinedTermSet": "https://www.nlm.nih.gov/mesh/", 
        "name": "History, 19th Century", 
        "type": "DefinedTerm"
      }, 
      {
        "inDefinedTermSet": "https://www.nlm.nih.gov/mesh/", 
        "name": "History, 20th Century", 
        "type": "DefinedTerm"
      }, 
      {
        "inDefinedTermSet": "https://www.nlm.nih.gov/mesh/", 
        "name": "Hospitals, General", 
        "type": "DefinedTerm"
      }, 
      {
        "inDefinedTermSet": "https://www.nlm.nih.gov/mesh/", 
        "name": "Hospitals, Teaching", 
        "type": "DefinedTerm"
      }, 
      {
        "inDefinedTermSet": "https://www.nlm.nih.gov/mesh/", 
        "name": "Slovenia", 
        "type": "DefinedTerm"
      }, 
      {
        "inDefinedTermSet": "https://www.nlm.nih.gov/mesh/", 
        "name": "World War II", 
        "type": "DefinedTerm"
      }
    ], 
    "author": [
      {
        "affiliation": {
          "alternateName": "University Clinical Centre Maribor", 
          "id": "https://www.grid.ac/institutes/grid.412415.7", 
          "name": [
            "Maribor Teaching Hospital, Maribor, Slovenia"
          ], 
          "type": "Organization"
        }, 
        "familyName": "Pivec", 
        "givenName": "Gregor", 
        "id": "sg:person.01037565342.26", 
        "sameAs": [
          "https://app.dimensions.ai/discover/publication?and_facet_researcher=ur.01037565342.26"
        ], 
        "type": "Person"
      }
    ], 
    "datePublished": "2006-05", 
    "datePublishedReg": "2006-05-01", 
    "description": "The author describes the history of Maribor General Hospital from its foundation in 1799 until the beginning of World War II. In 1799 the magistrate of the town of Maribor issued a memorandum regarding the establishment of a town hospital in the renovated building of the town hospice, providing space for 24 patients. The work of the hospital was carried out in the former hospice building until 1855. In the period between its establishment and eventual relocation 26 beds were added. The last two decades of the hospital's operation at the original location were marked by the assiduous work of the town's physicist, Dr. Anton Kuker. In the first half of the 19th century, the population of Maribor grew rapidly as a consequence of the construction of the Southern Railway. The town authorities therefore purchased the Prosenjak family villa in the Magdalena suburbs and relocated the hospital to it in 1855, providing 28 rooms for 110 patients. For a whole century, the care of patients was taken over by the Daughters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul. The hospital was soon admitting over 1000 patients a year, the most common complaints being pulmonary catarrh, gastritis and fever. In 1872, when the Master of Surgery Feliks Ferk joined the hospital, the internal \"medical\" and the \"external\" surgical departments were formed. Although medical studies were not easily accessible, there were a number of Slovene physicians working in the hospital and the town in that period. In the last decades of the 19th century, the hospital was often renovated and enlarged. The infrastructure (telephone, water supply system, heating, lighting) had also been modernized before World War I. In 1914, the first X-ray apparatus was purchased. Between the wars, the hospital's development was boosted by recruitment of the Slovene physicians Ivan Matko, Mirko Cernic, Janko Dernovsek and Hugon Robic. The initial external and medical departments split into several departments: internal medicine, surgery, dermatovenereology, gynecology and obstetrics, infectious diseases, X-ray institute, autopsy department, and pulmonary department. A department of otology and ophthalmology was also founded. After the disintegration of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, Maribor Hospital was no longer overshadowed by the formerly dominant regional hospital in Graz in present-day Austria. A greater number of patients entailed more rapid professional development. At the beginning of World War II, the hospital comprised six departments, two institutes and a dispensary, and had an elaborate administrative structure with numerous support services.", 
    "genre": "research_article", 
    "id": "sg:pub.10.1007/s00508-006-0543-z", 
    "inLanguage": [
      "en"
    ], 
    "isAccessibleForFree": false, 
    "isPartOf": [
      {
        "id": "sg:journal.1070586", 
        "issn": [
          "1026-4906", 
          "1563-2571"
        ], 
        "name": "Wiener klinische Wochenschrift", 
        "type": "Periodical"
      }, 
      {
        "issueNumber": "Suppl 2", 
        "type": "PublicationIssue"
      }, 
      {
        "type": "PublicationVolume", 
        "volumeNumber": "118"
      }
    ], 
    "name": "Maribor General Hospital from its foundation until World War II", 
    "pagination": "2-5", 
    "productId": [
      {
        "name": "readcube_id", 
        "type": "PropertyValue", 
        "value": [
          "888eb0c947db124c610875851dac59372ffecd3c36b1ed4d2a89cce1799ea413"
        ]
      }, 
      {
        "name": "pubmed_id", 
        "type": "PropertyValue", 
        "value": [
          "16817035"
        ]
      }, 
      {
        "name": "nlm_unique_id", 
        "type": "PropertyValue", 
        "value": [
          "21620870R"
        ]
      }, 
      {
        "name": "doi", 
        "type": "PropertyValue", 
        "value": [
          "10.1007/s00508-006-0543-z"
        ]
      }, 
      {
        "name": "dimensions_id", 
        "type": "PropertyValue", 
        "value": [
          "pub.1028666377"
        ]
      }
    ], 
    "sameAs": [
      "https://doi.org/10.1007/s00508-006-0543-z", 
      "https://app.dimensions.ai/details/publication/pub.1028666377"
    ], 
    "sdDataset": "articles", 
    "sdDatePublished": "2019-04-10T13:17", 
    "sdLicense": "https://scigraph.springernature.com/explorer/license/", 
    "sdPublisher": {
      "name": "Springer Nature - SN SciGraph project", 
      "type": "Organization"
    }, 
    "sdSource": "s3://com-uberresearch-data-dimensions-target-20181106-alternative/cleanup/v134/2549eaecd7973599484d7c17b260dba0a4ecb94b/merge/v9/a6c9fde33151104705d4d7ff012ea9563521a3ce/jats-lookup/v90/0000000001_0000000264/records_8659_00000513.jsonl", 
    "type": "ScholarlyArticle", 
    "url": "http://link.springer.com/10.1007%2Fs00508-006-0543-z"
  }
]
 

Download the RDF metadata as:  json-ld nt turtle xml License info

HOW TO GET THIS DATA PROGRAMMATICALLY:

JSON-LD is a popular format for linked data which is fully compatible with JSON.

curl -H 'Accept: application/ld+json' 'https://scigraph.springernature.com/pub.10.1007/s00508-006-0543-z'

N-Triples is a line-based linked data format ideal for batch operations.

curl -H 'Accept: application/n-triples' 'https://scigraph.springernature.com/pub.10.1007/s00508-006-0543-z'

Turtle is a human-readable linked data format.

curl -H 'Accept: text/turtle' 'https://scigraph.springernature.com/pub.10.1007/s00508-006-0543-z'

RDF/XML is a standard XML format for linked data.

curl -H 'Accept: application/rdf+xml' 'https://scigraph.springernature.com/pub.10.1007/s00508-006-0543-z'


 

This table displays all metadata directly associated to this object as RDF triples.

101 TRIPLES      20 PREDICATES      37 URIs      29 LITERALS      17 BLANK NODES

Subject Predicate Object
1 sg:pub.10.1007/s00508-006-0543-z schema:about N53a45c8e666a49078cb81ff49da4a230
2 N64d2b163503c4952887d0dbeaf073008
3 N825a9be427304c9aa3d3bb407d7f4e86
4 N94338c87cdf6461389735ad507da8963
5 Ncbbb0196114144de993c3fdebd47fada
6 Ne42480d5fb4c4f2195aa82c06c18863d
7 Nec79aa2100c34ecb91925490bf185d0d
8 Nfd6485e4c236487eb8bf6f46ef4d0fdd
9 anzsrc-for:21
10 anzsrc-for:2103
11 schema:author N41aaf4d576c848c487ce4e3dbf6fcc26
12 schema:datePublished 2006-05
13 schema:datePublishedReg 2006-05-01
14 schema:description The author describes the history of Maribor General Hospital from its foundation in 1799 until the beginning of World War II. In 1799 the magistrate of the town of Maribor issued a memorandum regarding the establishment of a town hospital in the renovated building of the town hospice, providing space for 24 patients. The work of the hospital was carried out in the former hospice building until 1855. In the period between its establishment and eventual relocation 26 beds were added. The last two decades of the hospital's operation at the original location were marked by the assiduous work of the town's physicist, Dr. Anton Kuker. In the first half of the 19th century, the population of Maribor grew rapidly as a consequence of the construction of the Southern Railway. The town authorities therefore purchased the Prosenjak family villa in the Magdalena suburbs and relocated the hospital to it in 1855, providing 28 rooms for 110 patients. For a whole century, the care of patients was taken over by the Daughters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul. The hospital was soon admitting over 1000 patients a year, the most common complaints being pulmonary catarrh, gastritis and fever. In 1872, when the Master of Surgery Feliks Ferk joined the hospital, the internal "medical" and the "external" surgical departments were formed. Although medical studies were not easily accessible, there were a number of Slovene physicians working in the hospital and the town in that period. In the last decades of the 19th century, the hospital was often renovated and enlarged. The infrastructure (telephone, water supply system, heating, lighting) had also been modernized before World War I. In 1914, the first X-ray apparatus was purchased. Between the wars, the hospital's development was boosted by recruitment of the Slovene physicians Ivan Matko, Mirko Cernic, Janko Dernovsek and Hugon Robic. The initial external and medical departments split into several departments: internal medicine, surgery, dermatovenereology, gynecology and obstetrics, infectious diseases, X-ray institute, autopsy department, and pulmonary department. A department of otology and ophthalmology was also founded. After the disintegration of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, Maribor Hospital was no longer overshadowed by the formerly dominant regional hospital in Graz in present-day Austria. A greater number of patients entailed more rapid professional development. At the beginning of World War II, the hospital comprised six departments, two institutes and a dispensary, and had an elaborate administrative structure with numerous support services.
15 schema:genre research_article
16 schema:inLanguage en
17 schema:isAccessibleForFree false
18 schema:isPartOf N12aa54c7d6bb42beac31ea2df8b4e2d9
19 N8e42ad8bad264dde98d8b98e017dc7d8
20 sg:journal.1070586
21 schema:name Maribor General Hospital from its foundation until World War II
22 schema:pagination 2-5
23 schema:productId N204c82c83b1e47cfbbb63e7426e6daeb
24 N321ac26af10b40bdbde73db8a36419b4
25 Ne5bd308bd6fc424383047dd2d5e5735f
26 Nef96687688784b79950393e664c3b89e
27 Nfc283816613c4959acb133120357ad2d
28 schema:sameAs https://app.dimensions.ai/details/publication/pub.1028666377
29 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00508-006-0543-z
30 schema:sdDatePublished 2019-04-10T13:17
31 schema:sdLicense https://scigraph.springernature.com/explorer/license/
32 schema:sdPublisher N3ae2f370e94a462f83ce0116e6d31b64
33 schema:url http://link.springer.com/10.1007%2Fs00508-006-0543-z
34 sgo:license sg:explorer/license/
35 sgo:sdDataset articles
36 rdf:type schema:ScholarlyArticle
37 N12aa54c7d6bb42beac31ea2df8b4e2d9 schema:issueNumber Suppl 2
38 rdf:type schema:PublicationIssue
39 N204c82c83b1e47cfbbb63e7426e6daeb schema:name readcube_id
40 schema:value 888eb0c947db124c610875851dac59372ffecd3c36b1ed4d2a89cce1799ea413
41 rdf:type schema:PropertyValue
42 N321ac26af10b40bdbde73db8a36419b4 schema:name doi
43 schema:value 10.1007/s00508-006-0543-z
44 rdf:type schema:PropertyValue
45 N3ae2f370e94a462f83ce0116e6d31b64 schema:name Springer Nature - SN SciGraph project
46 rdf:type schema:Organization
47 N41aaf4d576c848c487ce4e3dbf6fcc26 rdf:first sg:person.01037565342.26
48 rdf:rest rdf:nil
49 N53a45c8e666a49078cb81ff49da4a230 schema:inDefinedTermSet https://www.nlm.nih.gov/mesh/
50 schema:name Delivery of Health Care
51 rdf:type schema:DefinedTerm
52 N64d2b163503c4952887d0dbeaf073008 schema:inDefinedTermSet https://www.nlm.nih.gov/mesh/
53 schema:name History, 19th Century
54 rdf:type schema:DefinedTerm
55 N825a9be427304c9aa3d3bb407d7f4e86 schema:inDefinedTermSet https://www.nlm.nih.gov/mesh/
56 schema:name History, 18th Century
57 rdf:type schema:DefinedTerm
58 N8e42ad8bad264dde98d8b98e017dc7d8 schema:volumeNumber 118
59 rdf:type schema:PublicationVolume
60 N94338c87cdf6461389735ad507da8963 schema:inDefinedTermSet https://www.nlm.nih.gov/mesh/
61 schema:name Hospitals, Teaching
62 rdf:type schema:DefinedTerm
63 Ncbbb0196114144de993c3fdebd47fada schema:inDefinedTermSet https://www.nlm.nih.gov/mesh/
64 schema:name Slovenia
65 rdf:type schema:DefinedTerm
66 Ne42480d5fb4c4f2195aa82c06c18863d schema:inDefinedTermSet https://www.nlm.nih.gov/mesh/
67 schema:name World War II
68 rdf:type schema:DefinedTerm
69 Ne5bd308bd6fc424383047dd2d5e5735f schema:name pubmed_id
70 schema:value 16817035
71 rdf:type schema:PropertyValue
72 Nec79aa2100c34ecb91925490bf185d0d schema:inDefinedTermSet https://www.nlm.nih.gov/mesh/
73 schema:name History, 20th Century
74 rdf:type schema:DefinedTerm
75 Nef96687688784b79950393e664c3b89e schema:name dimensions_id
76 schema:value pub.1028666377
77 rdf:type schema:PropertyValue
78 Nfc283816613c4959acb133120357ad2d schema:name nlm_unique_id
79 schema:value 21620870R
80 rdf:type schema:PropertyValue
81 Nfd6485e4c236487eb8bf6f46ef4d0fdd schema:inDefinedTermSet https://www.nlm.nih.gov/mesh/
82 schema:name Hospitals, General
83 rdf:type schema:DefinedTerm
84 anzsrc-for:21 schema:inDefinedTermSet anzsrc-for:
85 schema:name History and Archaeology
86 rdf:type schema:DefinedTerm
87 anzsrc-for:2103 schema:inDefinedTermSet anzsrc-for:
88 schema:name Historical Studies
89 rdf:type schema:DefinedTerm
90 sg:journal.1070586 schema:issn 1026-4906
91 1563-2571
92 schema:name Wiener klinische Wochenschrift
93 rdf:type schema:Periodical
94 sg:person.01037565342.26 schema:affiliation https://www.grid.ac/institutes/grid.412415.7
95 schema:familyName Pivec
96 schema:givenName Gregor
97 schema:sameAs https://app.dimensions.ai/discover/publication?and_facet_researcher=ur.01037565342.26
98 rdf:type schema:Person
99 https://www.grid.ac/institutes/grid.412415.7 schema:alternateName University Clinical Centre Maribor
100 schema:name Maribor Teaching Hospital, Maribor, Slovenia
101 rdf:type schema:Organization
 




Preview window. Press ESC to close (or click here)


...